[CentOS] how to install Atheros AR5008 on CentOS 5.5 in console-only mode?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 00:02:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:

> I hope someone can help me.  I'm trying to setup a D-Link DWA-547 on
> CentOS 5.5 x64 in console only mode, i.e. there's no X installed. The
> Wiki article suggests using NetWork Manager, but since there's no X
> installed on this server, it's not possible.
>
> How do I go about installing this card?
>
> Here's the output of lspci -v:
>
> 01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008
> Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
> Subsystem: D-Link System Inc Unknown device 3a6b

I can only point you in the right direction (sorry!). This is from
memory and from a setup that I've used on Fedora in the past so CentOS
_should_ be similar...

You have to install wpa_supplicant and the relevant configuration files are:
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wap_supplicant.conf
/etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-eth0