[CentOS] how to install Atheros AR5008 on CentOS 5.5 in console-only mode?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Tue Aug 3 07:40:03 UTC 2010

On 2010/08/03 02:02 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Rudi Ahlers<Rudi at softdux.com>  wrote:
>
>> I hope someone can help me.  I'm trying to setup a D-Link DWA-547 on
>> CentOS 5.5 x64 in console only mode, i.e. there's no X installed. The
>> Wiki article suggests using NetWork Manager, but since there's no X
>> installed on this server, it's not possible.
>>
>> How do I go about installing this card?
>>
>> Here's the output of lspci -v:
>>
>> 01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008
>> Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
>> Subsystem: D-Link System Inc Unknown device 3a6b
>>
> I can only point you in the right direction (sorry!). This is from
> memory and from a setup that I've used on Fedora in the past so CentOS
> _should_ be similar...
>
> You have to install wpa_supplicant and the relevant configuration files are:
> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wap_supplicant.conf
> /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-eth0
> __________________

I already have it installed:

[root at intranet ~]# rpm -qa | grep wpa
wpa_supplicant-0.5.10-9.el5
[root at intranet ~]# ll /etc/wpa_supplicant/
total 4
-rw------- 1 root root 107 Mar 31 06:58 wpa_supplicant.conf
[root at intranet ~]# ll /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 391 Mar 31 06:58 /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant

But, I got no idea how to configure the card in console-only mode, i.e.
without X installed.

[root at intranet ~]# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth1      no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

[root at intranet ~]# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     No such device

[root at intranet ~]# ifconfig wlan0
wlan0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers, SoftDux MD

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com