[CentOS] Manually mounting partitions in "linux rescue" mode

Edward Diener eldiener at tropicsoft.com
Tue Aug 3 14:53:01 UTC 2010

On 8/3/2010 4:53 AM, Robert Grasso wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as for understanding the grub disk and partition numbering scheme, you should read :
>
> info grub
>
> and more specifically the "Naming convention" paragraph.
>
> Your issue is all about understanding this.
>
> Hope this helps

No, it does not help. I understand how grub refers to partitions. On my
system the boot partition is /dev/sda10 -> (hd0,9). For some reason grub
does not see (hd0,9) as a disk or maybe just hd0 as a disk. In other
words, after mounting my partitions off of /mnt/sysimage and switching
my root with chroot /mnt/sysimage, grub does not find (hd0,9). Why ?