[CentOS] tools one could to use to troubleshoot for Apache

Jerry Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Fri Aug 20 20:56:24 UTC 2010

On 08/20/2010 11:16 AM, Agnello George wrote:
> Have a question , Suppose i had a client tell me that  he can access
> the web page but it takes long time to view  the pages   the website
> is a static website ( suppose this website does not server dynamic
> data  or does not connect to a database )... what would one check
> other than :
>
> the server load  ( cat /proc/loadaverage )  ,
>
>  the Apache logs  ,
>
>  the number of client connection ( netstat -tupln |grep :80 |wc -l )
>
> --
>
> how would i know if it a client side  issue or a server side issue

Start by running 'ab' against your server. The 'ab' (Apache Bench) tool
allows you to find out just how fast or slow your server really is.
Second, make sure you **do not** have 'HostnameLookups On' in your
configuration. Turning on hostname lookups is the surest way to make
your server slow because it does a reverse DNS lookup for each access
(which can take several seconds depending on where the surfer is coming
from).

Third, quit putting yahoo groups in the Cc line of your emails. Anyone
not subscribed to them gets a bounce when they reply to you.

--
Benjamin Franz