[CentOS] tools one could to use to troubleshoot for Apache

Alan Hodgson ahodgson at simkin.ca
Mon Aug 23 21:00:11 UTC 2010

On Friday, August 20, 2010, Agnello George <agnello.dsouza at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have a question , Suppose i had a client tell me that  he can access the
> web page but it takes long time to view  the pages   the website is a
> static website ( suppose this website does not server dynamic data  or
> does not connect to a database )... what would one check other than :
>
> the server load  ( cat /proc/loadaverage )  ,
>
>  the Apache logs  ,
>
>  the number of client connection ( netstat -tupln |grep :80 |wc -l )
>
> --
>
> how would i know if it a client side  issue or a server side issue

Enable the Apache server-status module and look at it. On an all-static
site, unless you have a really big pipe or a really slow server, you have
one of two problems;

1) All your Apache processes are busy talking to people

or 2) Your outbound bandwidth is full (which apache can't tell you but if
it's not #1 it's probably #2).

Please note the easiest fix for #1 is to increase the number of Apache
processes or switch to the threaded MPM. The best fix is to not use Apache
for static content. Lighttpd is much better.

--
"No animals were harmed in the recording of this episode. We tried but that
damn monkey was just too fast."