[CentOS] System beeps in kernel 2.6.18-194

Glenn Eychaner geychaner at mac.com
Wed Aug 25 23:57:02 UTC 2010

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Glenn Eychaner <geychaner at mac.com> wrote:
>> So, just today I noticed a problem with kernel 2.6.18-194 (CentOS 5.5) on several Intel DP965LT systems; the system beeps (such as terminal beeps) are no longer passed through to the external speakers.  This is a problem because in our situation the boxes are distant from their monitor/keyboard, the system speaker on this motherboard is extremely weak, and there are no system speaker header pins on the motherboard.  The problem goes away if I revert the system to 2.6.18-164 with no other changes.
>> I looked through the list archives and searched the web for other people who have encountered this, but it's pretty specific (and hard to search for "system beep"!)
>
> Does it have Nvidia controllers? If so, it may be related to:
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4335

Nope.  It has a PCI NVidia graphics card, but the tech specs for the board (page 12) show Intel chipsets (as expected).
	http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15049/eng/DP965LT_TechProdSpec.pdf
Besides, I tried adding the "enable_msi=0" to that line of modprobe.conf, and it didn't make any difference.

>> Is there someplace can I find *detailed* release notes on the differences between -164 and -194 kernels to help in looking for the problem, pinning it down, and submitting a patch (and/or building my own kernel), or should I just download the SRPMS and dig in?
>
> You can find kernel changelog diffs here (maintaind by Alan Bartlett):
> http://www.centos.toracat.org/ajb/kernel-clog-diff/

Wow.  Considering I need to look at everything from 164-15 to 194-3, that's a lot of heavy reading and searching.

-G.
--
Glenn Eychaner (geychaner at lco.cl)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory