[CentOS] CentOS or other Linux Internet Router/Gateway

xfg xfinger at live.ie
Thu Aug 26 11:55:46 UTC 2010

Several weeks ago I've moved away from IPCop for a while until v. 2.0 will
come out of beta and have addons available.
Currently running pfSense with transparent proxy / filtering for ads,
spyware, porn, etc ...

But you're right in choosing IPCop. There was nothing coming close to it
when I factor in the way I was using it:
- transparent proxy w/ advanced proxy addon
- url filter addon
- updates accelerator (only 1 computer would download the updates, the rest
will get them locally at LAN speed)
- snort + guardian addon (making snort active)
- net2net vpns, road warriors
und so weiter...

And I had IPCop installed on 7-8 locations on ancient hardware (I've
decommissioned a P120 cpu and now the oldest out of them is a Celeron
Mendocino @466Mhz)

Anyway, snort on IPCop 1.4.21 would no longer get its updates as that
version is no longer supported.
The kernel in version 2.x will obviously bring support for latest snort but
it will take a while until final release and even more for addons like the
ones I was using to be ported on the new release.

Now I am working on setting up a CentOS 5.5 32 bit with XEN and run pfSense
distribution as a VM on my home LAN.
And hanging in there until I see IPCop back :)