[CentOS] IPV4 is nearly depleted, are you ready for IPV6?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Tue Dec 7 17:21:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/7/10 9:07 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>>
>> site-local addresses are officially deprecated.
>>
>> If you want a device to only be available locally - block the traffic
>> to/from that device.
>
> So security will depend on every connection owner having a high level of
> knowledge about ipv6 internals?   Is this being designed by people planning
> careers as consultants?
>
> --

Yes, I can see where you're coming from with this argument. We supply
ADSL to our clients and could offer them security on a network level.
I know some mobile operators already do this on their networks on
IPV4. Basically, if I want remote access to a machine connected to the
internet via their network I have to apply for permission to have the
security removed. The contract states that I know what I'm doing and
will take full responsibility for anything that goes wrong on my side.
They're basically covered legally (if one could call it that) if
something goes wrong with my connection.

We have some measures in place where we block, at a client's request,
all ports except 23, 25, 80, 110 and 443. So, I'm sure many other
ISP's could do the same thing?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers