[CentOS] CentOS 5.5 on a new Mac Mini? no CD Driver?

Nataraj incoming-centos at rjl.com
Tue Dec 7 17:22:10 UTC 2010

You need to install and use Apple's Boot Camp to make CentOS work on a
> Mac Mini. It will install a utility on the drive that will make the Mini
> look like an ordinary system instead of the Apple based hardware
> including standard drivers for the Cd/DVD and hard drives and network
> and sound support. I have an old single core Mac Mini running CentOS 5
> 32 bit just fine.
>
> One problem though is that I believe that Snow Leopard Server version
> does NOT come with Boot Camp. If so you'll need to get a version of Snow
> Leopard that does have Boot Camp available. I think the Standard version
> of Snow Leopard is about $30.00 from Apple.
>
> If you need help I can be available via Skype to answer your questions.
>
> Bob Arnold

Refit is commonly used to boot multiple OS's on the mac mini and is
fairly easy to install (you can burn a CD of it and boot from that to
test first). I've booted the Fedora14 liveCD on my mac mini and the disk
drivers DO work. Also Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (lucid) has working drivers. I
believe that grub2 can directly boot linux without bootcamp or refit,
but may not be easy to setup.

For most of the livecd's you'll need to go to manually edit the grub
command line and add "nomodeset reboot=pci". nomodeset may not be needed
on the latest kernels. If you lose video, then you need it.

For all but the latest kernels you'll need to download broadcom tg3
drivers from the broadcom website and compile them for the ethernet to
work. Fedora14 has current broadcom drivers.

You may also need to download a driver for the wireless.

For sound you may need the following, or the equivalent for your
distribution:
echo 'options snd-hda-intel model=mbp55' >> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

The real gotcha for the mac mini and all mac's is the GPT partition
table. The major problem is that most of the gpt partitioning tools are
still pretty flakey and turn on incorrect bits or in some other way set
something in the partition table that some other program doesn't like.
If you manage to do an install and it works the first time you are
lucky, but once it fails you can pull your hair out trying to fix the
partition table. This is definitely not recommended for the inexperienced.

I believe that Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS (lucid), the standard live install CD
(NOT the alternate install), might be your best bet for a trouble free
installation. When you boot the livecd, you'll want to keep hitting keys
as it's booting to force the grub menu's to come up. (in fedora14, just
hit a space when you get the boot timeout message, then hit tab to edit
the boot command line). After you enter your language, hit F6 and select
'nomodeset' (space selects, escape exits this menu). Then use your arrow
keys and move back on the boot line and add 'reboot=pci'. If you forget
reboot=pci you can always power cycle to boot.

You'll also want the Nvidia drivers

I will be installing fedora14 at some point soon.

In general, linux on the Mac Mini is not an easy install though it can
be done.

The following might be useful, though is not completely up to date:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Macmini4-1/Lucid

Nataraj