[CentOS] CentOS 5.5 on a new Mac Mini? no CD Driver?

Bob Arnold bobarnold at ralabs.com
Tue Dec 7 16:08:33 UTC 2010

On 12/6/10 3:54 PM, Jason T. Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am attempting to install CentOS 5.5 64 bit on my new Mac Mini. I boot to the CD and when I get to selecting where I am installing from (local cd, hard disk, ftp, etc) I select Local CD and it cannot find a driver and wants me to manually specify or use a driver disk.
>
> I ave no idea what drive is in this system.

> -Jason
You need to install and use Apple's Boot Camp to make CentOS work on a
Mac Mini. It will install a utility on the drive that will make the Mini
look like an ordinary system instead of the Apple based hardware
including standard drivers for the Cd/DVD and hard drives and network
and sound support. I have an old single core Mac Mini running CentOS 5
32 bit just fine.

One problem though is that I believe that Snow Leopard Server version
does NOT come with Boot Camp. If so you'll need to get a version of Snow
Leopard that does have Boot Camp available. I think the Standard version
of Snow Leopard is about $30.00 from Apple.

If you need help I can be available via Skype to answer your questions.

Bob Arnold