[CentOS] SELinux - way of the future or good idea but !!!

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:41:54 UTC 2010

On 12/8/2010 12:19 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:

>> Standards committees have their ways of breaking all previous existing
>> implementations with their final decrees.  Let me know when they are
>> finished.
>
> Standards committees are never finished.
>
> Linux is not standardized, either; in the case of CentOS, SELinux is a de facto standard as it's in the default install set.  Linux != posix.
>
> The inertia of the installed set means what you learn now will still be usable in the future.  Much like with Linux itself.

But how much of what you spend your time learning do you want to be
dedicated and restricted to a single platform?   A question that is also
going to apply to all 3rd party developers.  I'd much rather have
developers focusing on eliminating buffer overflows and the kinds of
things that cause vulnerabilities in the first place than how best to
survive them on one single target platform.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com