[CentOS] PERC 6/E continue switch between "write though" and "write back"????

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 00:34:20 UTC 2010

On Dec 9, 2010, at 10:41 AM, mcclnx mcc <mcclnx at yahoo.com.tw> wrote:

> We have several DELL R900 server with PERC 6/E adapter in it. O.S. is CENTOS 5.5.  recently one of server continue pop-up messages on /var/log/message for switch status between "write back" and "write through".
>
> ==============================
> Dec  6 08:09:31 host01 Server Administrator: Storage Service EventID: 2189  The controller write policy has been changed to Write Back.:  Battery 0 Controller 0
> Dec  7 13:20:13 host01 Server Administrator: Storage Service EventID: 2188  The controller write policy has been changed to Write Through.:  Battery 0 Controller 0
> Dec  9 01:09:39 host01 Server Administrator: Storage Service EventID: 2188  The controller write policy has been changed to Write Through.:  Battery 0 Controller 0
> Dec  9 07:38:29 host01 Server Administrator: Storage Service EventID: 2189  The controller write policy has been changed to Write Back.:  Battery 0 Controller 0

> I double check PERC 6/E is NOT on battery "learn cycle".  When it change to "write though" I also use OPMN check status and NO battery low issue.
>
> I tried to use OPMN change status from "write though" to "write back" but it not work.
>
> Anyone know why PERC 6/E status continue change?

The batteries on these always go through a charge cycle where they let the battery completely discharge then recharge so it's internal bettery levels are accurate.

These usually only happen once a month though, so if they are happening this frequently it probably means the battery needs to be replaced.

Call Dell Enterprise Support tell em the battery is failing and they should overnight a new one.

-Ross