[CentOS] OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Mon Dec 13 20:10:08 UTC 2010

> What programming language should I learn?

It depends what you want to do.

- build quickly applications, reusing existing components and
understanding a lot of the Linux ecosystem
=> Python

- process quickly huge amount of text files
=> Practical Exrtaction and Reporting Language (aka. PERL, yes you can
do a lot of other things with it, but not so convincingly as with
Python, IMHO)

- performance and resource critical algorithms
=> C++

- simple, fast and powerful websites / understanding CMS such as
Drupal or Wordpress
=> PHP

- enterprise applications
=> Java
(=> or .Net, but then I think that MS Windows is a better platform
than CentOS even though I heard that Mono is working)

I'm personnally a Java developer and tend to do all of the above with Java.

If you are a sysadmin, I would recommend you Python: I don't know it
well, but all people I know who used it love it, and again there are
plenty of the software around which are based on it (also GUIs)