[CentOS] OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Dec 13 21:03:33 UTC 2010

On Monday, December 13, 2010 03:15:48 pm Nick wrote:
> This is a bit like saying "I have 12 years experience of hunting but I too
> myopic to aim a pistol," then asking "which firearm should I carry?"

To an extent; I read it more along the lines of 'I have 12 years experience hunting with a scoped rifle but am too nearsighted to aim a regular pistol with iron sights, what sort of handgun would you recommend' to which I would answer 'Remington XP-100 in .223 Remington, .308 Winchester, or .35 Remington, depending on the size game hunted,  or Thompson-Center Contender, which should be chambered in something like .223 Remington for small game, .30-30 or .243 Winchester for medium game, and .45-70 for larger game.  Recoil in the larger calibers will be significant.  Scopes for these handguns are pretty much required, and range is comparable to a short carbine in the same caliber.'

In other words, the choice of a new programming language has something to do with what you're going to do with it.  And much like trying to use a T/C Contender in .45-70 Government as a first hunting handgun, there are some languages that aren't really suitable for a first language.  You need to start with something a little easier to handle, like a Ruger Blackhawk or an S&W L- or N-frame in .357 Maximum; you can load it with .38 S&W Special for a fairly easy to shoot handgun, and graduate up through .357 S&W Magnum and the hard-hitting .357 Remington Maximum; you could even get something in .357 SuperMag..... And scopes are available for that frame.....

If you've done shell scripting, pick something that can build from that; I mentioned Python, but Perl or Ruby would be just a good, really.  The key point is to build on something with some familiarity, and while strongly-typed languages have their uses and strengths, 'scripting' languages are possibly going to be an easier learn.