[CentOS] OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Mon Dec 13 22:59:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 05:30:09PM -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Patrick Lists wrote:
> > Have a look at Lua (www.lua.org). Imo it's quite readable and less
> <snip>
> Don't. I have literally never heard of it before, and I at least have
> heard of everything else folks have mentioned. Learn something that
> there's a *large* base of folks who know enough to help you.

	Just because *you* haven't come across it before doesn't mean
	that the language hasn't gained significant traction in recent
	years as an embedded language.  It's in use in *many* commercial
	and FOSS games, for instance; along with being used as an
	internal scripting language for many other types of
	applications.  It can, of course, also be used as a standalone
	scripting / tool language.

	I would argue that there is indeed a large support audience
	available, even if that audience is not here.

							John

--
"Which is more believable: In the beginning there was God, who created the
universe, or in the beginning there was nothing, which exploded"

-- <nog>