[CentOS] OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Dec 14 00:11:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>> Have a look at Lua (www.lua.org). Imo it's quite readable and less

> <snip>
> Don't. I have literally never heard of it before, and I at least have
> heard of everything else folks have mentioned. Learn something that
> there's a *large* base of folks who know enough to help you.

you know -- that is a comment of an ignorant, really a sn*tty,
negative nabob of negativism, on this, to no good end --

learning algorithmically sound design in a literate
programming language is probably the best thing a newbie
starting out could so

Like, I've learned, created, and forgotten many languages over
a lifetime, and as Lamar points out, some still persist -- I
too have clients regularly using Fortran, and they want to pay
for support

Lua was proposed into rpm as a way to get control of %pre and
%post Turing unbounded-ness; is actively in daily use on
FreeSwitch as a ESL; and has regularly appeared in small and
embedded space, as it is a quite good fit there

It has a active community, and both free and 'pay for it'
documentation, and is surprisingly easy to ]pick up' as a new
language

One could do ** much worse ** than Lua (the rantings of the
MSFT fanboi here for the patent encumbered kit, not shipped on
CentOS, such as C# come to mind)

-- Russ herrold