[CentOS] OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

David bouncingcats at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 02:24:13 UTC 2010

On 14 December 2010 03:14, Sven Aluoor <aluoor at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have more than 12 years experience with UNIX system administration,
> but I am too stupid for programming. My only programming experience is
> shell scripting. I tried to learn Java, but don't understand it
> because it is too complicated for my limited brainpower.
>
> What programming language should I learn?

I have mostly written:
pascal, asm, c, shell, python

and also used:
basic, fortran, ruby, lua, tcl, perl.

I have glanced at:
c++, java.

>From my experience, I'd suggest to definitely consider python.

Reasoning: considering your description, it seems to me the best path
to being able to write useful, flexible, powerful code after the
shortest learning time, plus good beginner resources and clean syntax.
The others I mention do not tick all those boxes, for me.