[CentOS] OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

Jerry Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Tue Dec 14 02:53:30 UTC 2010

On 12/13/2010 04:16 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 12/13/2010 6:08 PM, Benjamin Franz wrote:
>>
>> I don't know about that. I started on Apple Integer BASIC back in 1980,
>> dropped to assembly on multiple platforms, and eventually ended up doing
>> OO style design in Perl in the 90s *before* it officially had OO. I
>> remember my sister commenting something to the effect that I seemed to
>> design code mentally in OO styles regardless of the actual
>> implementation language a decade or so ago.
> It's one thing to build complex data structures (like making your basic
> C data type "array of struct ...") so you can iterate nicely,  but
> something else to think the code belongs to it.

Thinking the code belongs to the data just a mental model. One of many
that may be used or not used at need for the exact same code.   But
never make the mistake of thinking any of them are "The Truth". A good
programmer switches mental models as needed and is not wedded to any of
them as "The Truth" - merely as *convenient to the task*.

--
Benjamin Franz