[CentOS] OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

cpolish at surewest.net cpolish at surewest.net
Wed Dec 15 03:47:42 UTC 2010

cornel panceac wrote:
> my first language was pascal. if i'd had the opportunity, i'd start with c.
> herbert schildt's teach yourself c was great for me.

I think C is an excellent place to begin. But try K & R
(ISBN-10 0131103628) which is the classic introduction.

Schildt is reviled in the church of C. See
http://accu.org/index.php?module=bookreviews&func=search&rid=608
where he is roundly rebuked. He doesn't do well in any
of the numerous reviews of his books on the ACCU site.

He's even got an entry in the comp.lang.c FAQ:
Q: I need a random number generator.
A: Count errors in Herbert Schildt's C books. No one has detected any
   consistent pattern.

--