[CentOS] Centos 5.5 - Kernel Panic while booting.

Lisandro Grullon lgrullon at CityTech.Cuny.Edu
Sat Dec 18 01:11:12 UTC 2010

Akemi,
I went through the different  mirrors and was unable to locate the ISO as it is stated as deprecated or unsupported, is there any plans to fix this issue in 5.6 or rather 6.x release. It appears that the latest build from Centos was built back in may, lots of bugs have emerge since them including this one relating to a kernel panic. Please advise in the location of 5.4, i am willing to try it.

>>> Akemi Yagi  12/17/10 7:56 PM >>>
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Lisandro Grullon
 wrote:
> Tru, looks like a bug in centos, I just loaded RHEL 6 without any issues. I
> dont think it has something to do with the actual image file, but in any
> case maybe I should re-download the entire DVD again just to make sure.
> Thank you Tru.

> maybe you are hitting: http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4581
>
> Tru

This is not a CentOS bug. As stated in the KB articles quoted in the bug report:

https://access.redhat.com/kb/docs/DOC-31516
https://access.redhat.com/kb/docs/DOC-38013

the patch is in the kernel-2.6.18-194.3.1 and onward. CentOS/RHEL 5.5
comes with kernel-2.6.18-194 which has the bug.  RHEL-6's kernel is
much newer at 2.6.32-71, so it does not have this bug.

Therefore to get around this issue, as suggested in one of the KB
articles, you first install CentOS *5.4* and then update it to the
current kernel thus skipping the problematic kernel.

Akemi