[CentOS] Centos 5.5 - Kernel Panic while booting.

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 00:56:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Lisandro Grullon
<lgrullon at citytech.cuny.edu> wrote:
> Tru, looks like a bug in centos, I just loaded RHEL 6 without any issues. I
> dont think it has something to do with the actual image file, but in any
> case maybe I should re-download the entire DVD again just to make sure.
> Thank you Tru.

> maybe you are hitting: http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4581
>
> Tru

This is not a CentOS bug. As stated in the KB articles quoted in the bug report:

https://access.redhat.com/kb/docs/DOC-31516
https://access.redhat.com/kb/docs/DOC-38013

the patch is in the kernel-2.6.18-194.3.1 and onward. CentOS/RHEL 5.5
comes with kernel-2.6.18-194 which has the bug.  RHEL-6's kernel is
much newer at 2.6.32-71, so it does not have this bug.

Therefore to get around this issue, as suggested in one of the KB
articles, you first install CentOS *5.4* and then update it to the
current kernel thus skipping the problematic kernel.

Akemi