[CentOS] Intel NIC

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 03:11:01 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Peter Larsen
<plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com> wrote:
> Have you considered looking into redhat enterprise virtualization? If you are interested I can put you in touch with a redhat rhev representative?

I've looked at it, though not extensively. Given the difficulties I
encountered with KVM, its demands on bridged network ports that force
pair bonding upstream into the virtualization guest, the "QEMU backend
with a new name" that is libvirt, and its dog slow performance under
RHEL 5 and CentOS 5, I threw it out ASAP and stuck with Virtualbox for
home systems (for the graceful interfaces no matter the hosting
platform)) and VMWare Workstation (to deal with SCO OpenServer: don't
ask).

Hopefully RHEL 6/CentOS 6 will resolve the difficulties. The burden of
NetworkManager as a management tool for virtualization server and
guest configurations concerns me: it's oversized for the small needs
of virtualization guests, and has never worked well in production
environments in my experience.