[CentOS] google chrome "big brother"

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Sun Dec 19 15:50:02 UTC 2010

>> am i right, or i'm missing something?
>
> You are right. Google Chrome OS is Open Source. But with "Google
> Chrome OS" you can do exactly nothing, because there are no
> applications (even basic UNIX tools are not available). The

My understanding is that Chrome OS is based on Chromium OS, which is
more FLOSS oriented:
http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os

Some months ago I gave a try to this re-build of Chromium OS:
http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

and it was working (it wasn't updated since last February though).

The wiki says that you can install Ubuntu packages, but I did not try:
http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/wiki/doku.php?id=addingpackages

So it seems possible to extend it (the question is then whether it
would be useful).