[CentOS] kickstart and logins.def question

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 14:36:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> Happy New Year to everyone and thank you for all the knowledge this past year.
>
> I have  a hopefully simple question about kickstart.   In the
> authconfig section I can enable ldap, credential caching, etc.. Using
> the GUI tool there's an option to create the user home directories on
> first login. The docs don't show a similar option for authconfig in
> kickstart.  For now I'm using a sed script in the %post section of the
> kickstart to replace the entry in /etc/login.defs, but was curious if
> there is a standard method via a system utility to change this option.

Still having issues with this... Here's the relevant line from my kickstart:

    authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5 --enableldap
--enableldapauth --ldapserver=ldapserver.digitalhermit.com
--ldapbasedn=dc=digitalhermit,dc=com --enablecache

And the sed scripts to enable the pieces that don't seem to have a
passable keyword to change:
    %post
    yum -y groupinstall xfce

    sed -i -e "s/^\(USEMKHOMEDIR=\).*$/\1\yes/" /etc/sysconfig/authconfig
    sed -i -e "s/^\(USEPAMACCESS=\).*$/\1\yes/" /etc/sysconfig/authconfig
    sed -i -e "s/^\(USELOCAUTHORIZE=\).*$/\1\yes/" /etc/sysconfig/authconfig

Unfortunately this doesn't work. When I login immediately after the
initial reboot it authenticates properly but complains that the user
home directory does not exist. If I then go in as root and run
system-config-authentication and change one item, it will start
creating the home directories.

I checked the following files (all opened by the
system-config-authentication utility), but none except the
/etc/sysconfig/authconfig appear to be related:

"/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
"/etc/gtk-2.0/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf.loaders"
"/etc/hesiod.conf"
"/etc/krb5.conf"
"/etc/ldap.conf"
"/etc/ld.so.cache"
"/etc/localtime"
"/etc/nsswitch.conf"
"/etc/openldap/cacerts"
"/etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac"
"/etc/pam_smb.conf"
"/etc/pango/pangorc"
"/etc/pango/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu/pango.modules"
"/etc/samba/smb.conf"
"/etc/selinux/config"
"/etc/shells"
"/etc/sysconfig/authconfig"
"/etc/sysconfig/network"
"/etc/yp.conf"

Anyone can shed light on why it does not auto-create the home
directories on initial boot?