[CentOS] kickstart and logins.def question

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Sat Jan 2 16:07:15 UTC 2010

Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Still having issues with this... Here's the relevant line from my kickstart:
>
>     authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5 --enableldap
> --enableldapauth --ldapserver=ldapserver.digitalhermit.com
> --ldapbasedn=dc=digitalhermit,dc=com --enablecache
>

> And the sed scripts to enable the pieces that don't seem to have a
> passable keyword to change:
>     %post
>     yum -y groupinstall xfce
>
>     sed -i -e "s/^\(USEMKHOMEDIR=\).*$/\1\yes/" /etc/sysconfig/authconfig
>     sed -i -e "s/^\(USEPAMACCESS=\).*$/\1\yes/" /etc/sysconfig/authconfig
>     sed -i -e "s/^\(USELOCAUTHORIZE=\).*$/\1\yes/" /etc/sysconfig/authconfig
>
> Unfortunately this doesn't work. When I login immediately after the
> initial reboot it authenticates properly but complains that the user
> home directory does not exist. If I then go in as root and run
> system-config-authentication and change one item, it will start
> creating the home directories.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Anyone can shed light on why it does not auto-create the home
> directories on initial boot?

I think the issue here is that the change has to be made in both the
authconfig file and in the /etc/pam.s/system-auth file.  Just changing
/etc/sysconfig/authconfig does not do it.  You could use something like
the following in your kickstart file instead of all the sed commands:

	/usr/sbin/authconfig  --enablemkhomedir --enablelocauthorize \
		--enablepamaccess --update

This will make the changes you specified to /etc/sysconfig/authconfig
AND update any other files affected by the change.  I'm a lazy bum and
it just seems easier and cleaner to me.

Just a thought!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN