[CentOS] High l-avg with centos 4.8 on G2 only

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 16:06:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM,  <fortin.pierre at bell.ca> wrote:
> Hi
>

> We deployed centos 4.8 on HP DL380 G2, G3 and G4 servers (same number of
> cpus). The same software is running on all servers.
>
> Only on G2 servers we see a low cpu utilization combined with high
> load-average.
>
> For example, during the same time of day and same workload, on a G2 I see a
> l-avg of 11.31 and on a G4 I see 2.68.

Make sure you have updated the G2 BIOS boxes. Some of the HP DL380's
had ACPI issues with NUMA memory causing 'phantom' loads as the system
took longer to page stuff. The box I dealt with was fixed with an
updated BIOS. If that doesn't work.. look at the various ACPI options
to tune the kernel.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning