[CentOS] Can't print a pdf?

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 18:33:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Todd Denniston
<Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil> wrote:

> Question 1: are you running a brother (or brothers, I don't recall if the brand has the s or not)
> printer?

Yes, Brother HL2140

> If yes, then Q2: Are you running a driver from them (or one of the third party repos) or just the
> stock CentOS stuff?

I'm running the Brother HL2140 for CUPS driver
(/usr/share/cups/model/HL2140.ppd) from 12/2008.

> Google-ing the following groups is somewhat interesting:
> brcupsconfig3
> brcupsconfig3  "segfault at"

Did that, not sure that's the problem (although your message showed up
in the search results :-).

Reason?  As I stated in a previous message on this thread, GIMP can't
load the PDF either - it gets a "Plug-in could not open image" error,
which indicates to me that there's something too Windozey about this
file.  AR has no trouble opening the file on my WXP VM, and even
Photoshop Elements handles it just fine.

> Not saying there is not a problem, but perhaps there is a problem in a deeper place that needs
> reported to the appropriate folks.

You're probably right about that; I'm just not sure whom that would
be.  Adobe doesn't take problem reports from AR or Flash users (unless
you cheat like I've done and lie about who I am and what kind of
service I deserve), the GNOME folks don't like our ancient revisions
and won't support them (which is sad since you can't just pull down a
whole GDE release and install it separately from or over the
distribution without a lot of work - it's a Red Hat release that's
still in service...), etc.

I looked up the drivers at
http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Brother/Brother-HL-2140 and
decided to try the hpijs-pcl5e ("recommended driver"), and it prints a
test page just fine, also odts, pdfs, jpgs and pngs, but it doesn't
print this particular pdf either.  The main difference is that it
hangs the print job and lpstat shows this:

$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: Brother2140
device for Brother2140: usb://Brother/HL-2140%20series
device for HPOJ4315: hp:/usb/Officejet_4300_series?serial=CN7AJH318W04GQ
Brother2140 accepting requests since Tue 01 Jun 2010 11:14:16 AM PDT
HPOJ4315 accepting requests since Thu 22 Apr 2010 10:47:46 AM PDT
printer Brother2140 is idle.  enabled since Tue 01 Jun 2010 11:14:16 AM PDT
        /undefined in --get--
printer HPOJ4315 is idle.  enabled since Thu 22 Apr 2010 10:47:46 AM PDT
Brother2140-5135        mhr             200704   Tue 01 Jun 2010 11:11:09 AM PDT

So at least I get an error indication, not just silence.

Thanks.

mhr