[CentOS] amazon ec2 and centos?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Jun 8 00:31:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Johnny Tan wrote:

> Searching through the archives, it seems this topic has come up
> several times in the past 2.5 years. Did anyone ever take on the
> tasks of creating an official CentOS AMI?

ummm -- Amazon does not use our kernel, and makes other
changes.  This makes it a downstream fork, as I see it.

> We're currently using the RightScale ones, but I think it'd be ideal
> to have a clean CentOS AMI with the current kernels.

Why would CentOS prefer one vendor over others?  Why prefer
one NOT using CentOS product? ... particularly when there are
vendors providing the CentOS provided kernel in a VM already

-- Russ herrold

disclaimer: I work with one of those other vendors that use
the CentOS provided kernels already