[CentOS] 5.5 & gspca

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 21:38:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 17:10 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> > so the kernel can't function on "us" microsecond timing.  It becomes
> > very critical when it comes to that nature.
>
> Right - my manager actually encouraged me to look at the code, and I was
> trying to recompile after putting a sleep(1) before any of the streaming
> is called, but I'm having all kinds of grief, since it can't find
> <unistd.h>, and when I put it in as #include "/usr/include/unistd.h", it
> spits out a ton of undefineds, and unuseds, etc.

Umm, you never want to do that (sleep) in imaging.  You can fill a
buffer and reassemble the frames/packets in there order cpu intensive
dearly it is.  Your better to skip the frames because the human eye can
never see it.  Believe it or not medical imaging takes on this method
and lives get saved every day from tomography/mri/cat/ultra sound scans
in real time.

Check out the load when it starts streaming.

> > Last thing is the timing routine function getting called in userspace or
> > kernel?  I have had my share of day to day problems like this.  Last
>
> Kernel. gspcs is a module, used by the motion daemon.

Quick Search found this for el5.  You could get the src rpm and rebuild
it for all machines.  Or test a binary out first with one.  No idea the
version that was compiled or against what just found it.
http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/gspca/

You know 2007 is a good while ago and there are many compiler changes in
between the time.  I say it may be something getting introduced from the
current compiler methods that is not supported now.

John