[CentOS] Remote X connection to CentOS 5.5 using Xming -ac

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 20:13:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Alexander Farber
<alexander.farber at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Brian,
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you setup X11 forwarding in PuTTY, then double-click on a saved
>> putty session, it will clear out the X11 forwarding and use the
>> settings from the saved session (no X forwarding).  If X forwarding is
>> properly enabled, you should not have to set the DISPLAY variable on
>> the remote side.
>>
>> You don't need the X server or anything else on the remote server.
>> Default firewall will have no effect either.  Also, make sure to
>> reload sshd after changing the settings (service sshd reload).
>>

> I've tried both cleared and set X11 forwarding
> checkbox in PuTTY, both as root and non-root
> and only get:
>
> $ xterm
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
> xterm:  DISPLAY is not set
>
> In the Xming log nothing happens at all (attached below).
>
> Is maybe WinXP firewall inbetween, do I need to open
> some port? (Xming asked me to do that during its startup,
> and I did so - clicked the "Unblock" button)
>
> Regards
> Alex

Follow these steps in PuTTY:
- Single-click on the saved putty session for that host
- Press the [Load] button
- Go to the SSH/X11 options and enable X11 forwarding
- Click the [Open] button and connect to server
- echo $DISPLAY

If you do not follow exactly these steps, the saved session will
override the X11 forwarding option (assuming its default is not
enabled) and disable forwarding.