[CentOS] Remote X connection to CentOS 5.5 using Xming -ac

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Tue Jun 15 20:14:24 UTC 2010

Alexander Farber wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is something in your .profile or .bashrc clearing your DISPLAY variable?
>>  When I log in with putty with the X forwarding box checked I get a
>> DISPLAY variable set automatically (you can see it with 'env') that
>> isn't set when I don't check the box.
>>

> No, "grep -r DISPLAY $HOME" and "... /root" return nothing :-(
>
> I'd prefer to get Xming + CentOS working
> (it worked for me once already, had CentOS in VmWare and
> could run X-programs via Xming from it) instead of installing NX....

I'm not sure what to tell you about the X forwarding in putty.  It has
always worked fine for me.  You have to make sure your Xming setup will
allow the connection (I generally just disable access control), but I
don't think that would cause the symptom you are seeing.

You may want to take another look at NX.  freenx is available from the
extras repository in CentOS and is very easy to set up.  I found that NX
over the Internet was more responsive than X+ssh over a local network
while X+ssh over the Internet was all but unusable.

--
Bowie