[CentOS] Ganglia

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Fri Jun 18 00:21:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 06:51:52PM -0500, John R. Dennison wrote:

> 	Very few packages are ever best compiled from source on an
> 	enterprise distro.
>
> 	What, specifically, is wrong with the 3.0.7 in EPEL?

Um, that "yum install ganglia" produces a long list of package conflicts on
a current CentOS system? Or that only 3.1.7 has a fully working multicpu
module, plus a number of significant bug fixes?

If there were a good CentOS build of 3.1.7 I'd happily use it. But getting
stuff from EPEL, which is essentially Redhat testing, is as silly as mixing
stuff from Debian testing into Debian stable, as far as enterprise systems
go. On the other hand, I've run a number of enterprise systems on Gentoo.
I'm sure the compiling of everything from source there gives you absolute
horrors. But those systems treated me well for years. Now I'm in a mixed
Ubuntu/CentOS environment, and I stay with distro packages ... until I
don't. When there's a specific program that I need compiled with different
options or whatever, well, I've been a Linux sysadmin since '93. I kind of
know what I'm doing.

What's with you kids these days? Compiling something from tar isn't going to
blow things up. At least it's never bitten me, in 17 years.

Best,
Whit