[CentOS] Ganglia

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Fri Jun 18 01:19:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 08:21:00PM -0400, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

> Um, that "yum install ganglia" produces a long list of package conflicts on
> a current CentOS system? Or that only 3.1.7 has a fully working multicpu
> module, plus a number of significant bug fixes?

	I just tried a ganglia install from EPEL; absolutely no issues
	at all.  Perhaps if you'd bother to actually document these
	conflicts one of us might be able to help.  That is if we're
	still willing.

	I can't speak to your claims of 3.1.7 having bug fixes and
	the multicpu issue; but I saw no conflicts with EPEL's 3.0.7.

> If there were a good CentOS build of 3.1.7 I'd happily use it. But getting
> stuff from EPEL, which is essentially Redhat testing, is as silly as mixing

	Uh, you've confused EPEL and Fedora apparently.

> stuff from Debian testing into Debian stable, as far as enterprise systems
> go. On the other hand, I've run a number of enterprise systems on Gentoo.
> I'm sure the compiling of everything from source there gives you absolute

	Gentoo is fine for a toy os.  Claiming Gentoo is "enterprise" is
	just silly.

> horrors. But those systems treated me well for years. Now I'm in a mixed
> Ubuntu/CentOS environment, and I stay with distro packages ... until I
> don't. When there's a specific program that I need compiled with different
> options or whatever, well, I've been a Linux sysadmin since '93. I kind of
> know what I'm doing.

	If you say so.

> What's with you kids these days? Compiling something from tar isn't going to
> blow things up. At least it's never bitten me, in 17 years.

	Kids?  Heh.  17 years?  Heh.  You're a youngster.  Let me know
	when you've got 25+ years in the industry and then I might be
	impressed :)

							John

--
Anybody can win unless there happens to be a second entry.

-- George Ade (1866 - 1944), American writer, newspaper columnist,
and playwright