[CentOS] Ganglia

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Fri Jun 18 12:41:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 08:19:46PM -0500, John R. Dennison wrote:

> 	I just tried a ganglia install from EPEL; absolutely no issues
> 	at all.  Perhaps if you'd bother to actually document these
> 	conflicts one of us might be able to help.  That is if we're
> 	still willing.

Now you're threatening to expel me from the community? For posting notes on
workarounds to get a useful package to work? What's this about? Ganglia's
working fine for me.

> 	I can't speak to your claims of 3.1.7 having bug fixes and
> 	the multicpu issue; but I saw no conflicts with EPEL's 3.0.7.

My claims? The project's own documents describe this stuff. You saw no
conflicts? Great. Not every bug shows up on every box. You believe one
instance of not seeing a bug means no on else will? That's Microsoft-style
quality control.

> > If there were a good CentOS build of 3.1.7 I'd happily use it. But getting
> > stuff from EPEL, which is essentially Redhat testing, is as silly as mixing
>
> 	Uh, you've confused EPEL and Fedora apparently.

Sorry. If that's confusion, I got it from instructions (several sets of
them) out on the web for installing Ganglia from EPEL, which referred to it
as a Fedora repository.

> 	Gentoo is fine for a toy os.  Claiming Gentoo is "enterprise" is
> 	just silly.

No point in including a long list of serious enterprises which run on
Gentoo. You're in fanboi mode and it's not your team. Fine.

> 	Kids?  Heh.  17 years?  Heh.  You're a youngster.  Let me know
> 	when you've got 25+ years in the industry and then I might be
> 	impressed :)

I said I've been a Linux sysadmin since '93. I've been in the industry since
'82. Thanks for mistaking me for a youngster though!

Whit