[CentOS] Increasing NFS Performance

lhecking at users.sourceforge.net lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 22 08:52:50 UTC 2010

Tim Nelson writes:
> Greetings all-
>
> I have a CentOS 5 (Final) system that is serving up content to several other
> hosts via NFS. The amount of data transferred is rather small as most of the
> files are under 100kb and each export has maybe 100 files that are accessed
> regularly. I'm finding that as I add more hosts accessing the NFS server, the
> performance seems to be getting poorer. There are obvious delays when doing
> simple 'ls' on an NFS mounted directory.

 So, this is CentOS 5.0 or 5.1. You should upgrade to at least CentOS 5.2. The
 5.2 kernel fixes serious performance problems with NFS.

 I think this is the related kernel changelog. Our docs show that we had
 machines running 5.1 with kernel 2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.bz321111 to work around
 the problem.

* Tue Feb 05 2008 Don Zickus <dzickus at redhat.com> [2.6.18-78.el5]
- [nfs] reduce number of wire RPC ops, increase perf (Peter Staubach ) [321111]

This message and any attachments may contain Cypress (or its
subsidiaries) confidential information. If it has been received
in error, please advise the sender and immediately delete this
message.