[CentOS] the Postfix packages are way too old

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Jun 22 10:36:21 UTC 2010

On 22/06/2010 11:31, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Florin Andrei wrote on Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:42:46 -0700:
>
>> No, that's fine, really. I was just pointing out that, for some
>> Internet-facing systems, this policy may be inadequate, due to the
>> fast-changing nature of the Internet.
>
> I disagree. The included Postfix works just fine. You have a very specific
> need that 99.??? % of the users don't have. This doesn't rectify such a
> major version jump. You can always install a newer version that has the
> features you need by yourself - as you did.

We have a mechanism in CentOS that allows for such functionality. Which
is : leave the distro packages as is, and use the Plus repo for added of
changed functionality that only a smaller percentage of the people might
need. And I am offering to help someone work through the process of
getting this package into the Plus repo.

Now the task of someone stepping up and taking on the responsibility is
open.

- KB