[CentOS] Samba and " (and maybe other characters) in paths/files

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 05:16:29 UTC 2010

Drew wrote:
>>> Samba can serve files with " to Linux clients. It's a Windows
>>> limitation not a Samba one.
>> Thanks. Well that's a bit sad really...
>
> I don't if it's so much "sad" as a design choice for NTFS. In
> Windows/NTFS one can put spaces in a filename so the " is used as a
> delimiter of sorts on the command line to tell programs the spaces are
> part of the file/path name and not a separator between arguments.
>
> I'm bound to be flogged for saying this but to be honest, I don't see
> any issues with having spaces in my file names. :) I'd rather have a
> file named "2010 Budget Proposal for CEO Review" then
> 2010budgetproposalforceoreview sitting in a directory somewhere.

You must be spoiled by always using GUI tools that present a pick list - no one
would ever type all that crap every time they want to access a file.  And, you
could just as well use underscores instead of spaces and get the same visual
effect AND still permit natural 'break on whitespace' command line parsing of
your shell commands.  I always thought Microsoft and Apple encouraged using
spaces in filenames explicitly to make it difficult for people to continue using
command line tools.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com