[CentOS] Samba and " (and maybe other characters) in paths/files

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 05:32:20 UTC 2010

> You must be spoiled by always using GUI tools that present a pick list - no one
> would ever type all that crap every time they want to access a file.  And, you
> could just as well use underscores instead of spaces and get the same visual
> effect AND still permit natural 'break on whitespace' command line parsing of
> your shell commands.  I always thought Microsoft and Apple encouraged using
> spaces in filenames explicitly to make it difficult for people to continue using
> command line tools.

Actually ... For someone who manages Windows systems for a living I
spend quite a bit of my day at the commandline. And that's why tab
completion is my friend. :-)

Let's not get into the whole windows debate and "WTF is a Windows
Admin doing on a Linux forum?" type of questions. :-) It's the
environment I inherited, "politics," and some badly thought out
projects on my predecessor's part keep Windows in the shop. I just
don't tell anyone just how much linux there actually is in the shop.
;-)

--
Drew

--Marie Curie