[CentOS] SSH Remote Execution - su?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Wed Mar 3 22:25:01 UTC 2010

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105

----- "Jeremy Rosengren" <jeremy.rosengren at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM, James Hogarth < james.hogarth at gmail.com > wrote:
>

> On 3 March 2010 21:20, Tim Nelson < tnelson at rockbochs.com > wrote:
> > Greetings All-
> >
> > I'm about to embark on some remote management testing and need a way to login to a remote system running CentOS 4.x/5.x via SSH, su to root (using a password), then execute a command.
> >
> > I currently login to the boxes using key based SSH like this:
> >
> > ssh -i ~/remote_key admin@$REMOTEIP
> >
> > Then, I SU to root. However, if I try to do this automatically like this:
> >
> > ssh -i ~/remote_key admin@$REMOTEIP 'su -l'
> >
> > I'm getting:
> >
> > "standard in must be a tty"
> >
> > So, how am I able to remote login using SSH, su to root, then execute a command as root?
> >
> > All comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks!
> >
> > --Tim
> >

> Best off configuring sudo for that user (with no password) and make
> sure that user has !requiretty in the sudoers configuration.
>
> James

Does "ssh -t" help?

YESS. It prevents the tty error from showing up and asks me for a password as expected. BUT, how do I then automate the entering of the password?

John Kennedy mentioned using expect which I've used before but found it to be 'finnicky'. I may have to look at it again...

Changing settings such as sudo configuration or ssh config may be daunting since I have a large number of systems(150+) that would need to be modified. :-/

--Tim