[CentOS] Centos 5.4 DNS resolution issue

Gaurav Nangla gaurav.knangla at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 18:44:19 UTC 2010


I tried everything you put forward, but didn't work.

I had openSUSE 11.1 installed in a VM as well, DNS worked fine with it.

Best Regards,
Gaurav



On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 11:19 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> Gaurav Nangla wrote:
> > I can ping the google.com <http://google.com> ip addresses
> > (209.85.231.104) but can't ping the FQDN, obviously DNS is broken.
> >
> > I can also ping the nameserver ip addresses specified in
> /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> well, the DNS servers given by your resolv.conf output seem valid from
> here..  I recommend doing some more debugging with `host` or similar DNS
> diagnostic tools.
>
> note regular DNS lookups like these tend to use UDP rather than TCP, if
> you're behind a NAT firewall which doesn't allow outbound udp port 53
> and connection track the response, then things might not work well.
>
>
> $ host google.com 208.67.220.220
> Using domain server:
> Name: 208.67.220.220
> Address: 208.67.220.220#53
> Aliases:
>
> google.com has address 74.125.19.105
> google.com has address 74.125.19.99
> google.com has address 74.125.19.103
> google.com has address 74.125.19.106
> google.com has address 74.125.19.147
> google.com has address 74.125.19.104
> google.com mail is handled by 400 google.com.s9b2.psmtp.com.
> google.com mail is handled by 200 google.com.s9a2.psmtp.com.
> google.com mail is handled by 300 google.com.s9b1.psmtp.com.
> google.com mail is handled by 100 google.com.s9a1.psmtp.com.
>
> $ host google.com 208.67.222.222
> Using domain server:
> Name: 208.67.222.222
> Address: 208.67.222.222#53
> Aliases:
>
> google.com has address 74.125.19.105
> google.com has address 74.125.19.147
> google.com has address 74.125.19.99
> google.com has address 74.125.19.103
> google.com has address 74.125.19.104
> google.com has address 74.125.19.106
> google.com mail is handled by 400 google.com.s9b2.psmtp.com.
> google.com mail is handled by 200 google.com.s9a2.psmtp.com.
> google.com mail is handled by 300 google.com.s9b1.psmtp.com.
> google.com mail is handled by 100 google.com.s9a1.psmtp.com.
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS at centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/attachments/20100309/cdbd5dd8/attachment.html 


More information about the CentOS mailing list