[CentOS] Running commercial softwares on CentOS

James A. Peltier jpeltier at fas.sfu.ca
Mon Mar 29 07:16:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Rahul Tidke wrote:

<snip>

> I agree with above facts. But, how do Red Hat provides interoperability in
> its desktop edition http://www.redhat.com/rhel/desktop/ ? It says that it
> supports third party apps and MS apps/environment. What software and
> technologies are used in RHEL for this? I just want to explore the
> possibilities for using CentOS as a full fledged desktop OS. I have been
> using CentOS as a server since very long time.
>
> Rahul.

Red Hat uses Wine, but only to support the most commonly used Windows
applications like Office, Photoshop, etc.  Engineering applications like
AutoCAD are not your "typical" application set and are not but a single
blip on the radar.

Install Windows on KVM and try your apps.  That's the best answer I have
for you or that you are likely to get.  I tried it before, a bit over a
year ago and it completely sucked (due to reasons stated before).

I have been using UNIX, BSD and GNU/Linux as a desktop OS for over 10
years.  I don't do CAD/Visualization frequently, but when I do I use
Windows on hardware.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
           http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
MSN     : subatomic_spam at hotmail.com

TEAMWORK
  There's power in numbers.  Learn to work together.