[CentOS] measuring kernel speed

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Mon May 10 18:23:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 2:12 PM, JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 13:37 -0400, Ross Walker wrote:
>> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> If I am setting up an ESXi infrastructure the first thing I would do
>> is setup a Cobbler server and a Windows deployment server (maybe a
>> Solaris Jump Start server) and integrate it with the VMware vCenter
>> templates. Then it's all point-n-click server deployment from there.
> ---
> What happens when your in a non ESX environment? Like me.  I am creating
> and tearing down virt machines on user request.  Sounds like a lot of bs
> doing that but we have to for certain client machines.
>
> I guess my question to Ross is ESX capable of doing this?  Just
> wondering as I'm looking onto rebuildiong oVirt in house.

The Cobbler and Windows deployment servers should work equally well in
a Xen environment as they do in an ESX environment.

You don't need vCenter or some other virtualization management
platform, of course it centralizes deployment if you do which makes
things easier, but the same could be accomplished via scripting on the
command line, maybe setup a "management VM" guest domain and locate
your domain deployment scripts there, maybe the same domain that runs
Cobbler and use XMLRPC to communicate with the Xen servers in the
enterprise.

-Ross