[CentOS] apache redirection

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu May 20 11:25:32 UTC 2010

> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> > Is there any *legitimate* reason why someone would want to *type*
> > https://domainname.com in the location/address bar? There really should
> > not be a reason to do that. If people are doing this, then that means
> > there is some reason for it (maybe the https://www.domtainname.com/...
> > link is too deeply burried in the regular site?).
>
> No, I don't think there is a legitimate reason for it, but it came up
> as a possible situation during our testing, so they wanted me to fix
> that issue as well. As far as I know, no one actually every types in
> https://domainname.com, but management wants it fixed anyway. So that
> is why I asked the question.
>
> if they were to go to the proper front page of our site, and just
> click through links, they would end up on a https://www.domainname.com
> site, and the certificate would work. I think they are just wanting to
> remove everything that could possibly be an error, even if it is only
> a self-generated error.

Do you have logs / Google Analytics reports that show that visitors are
actually landing on https://www.domainname.com (other than your
testing)?  If not, you can show this to management.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration