[CentOS] Boot failure after install on IBM x3550 M3

RedShift redshift at pandora.be
Thu Nov 11 16:33:32 UTC 2010

On 11/11/10 16:39, Toralf Lund wrote:
> RedShift wrote:

>>> That seems like a useful tip, but do you know what exactly I need to
>>> install and where to find it? I'm looking at an IBM download page right
>>> now, but it's a little confusing - I can't seem to find anything that
>>> it's obviously the *system* firmware, only entries like "Firmware for
>>> Rack&   Tower LCD UPS" and " Firmware for Local Console Manager".
>>>
>>> - Toralf
>>>

>> What's the model and type? It should be xxxx-yyy where x can be 0-9 and y can be 0-9&  A-z.  You can find it on the front of the chassis.
>>
> It's 7944-K1G
>
> I've selected 7944 along with "System x" and "System x3550 M3" at
> http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/, but like I said, couldn't
> find anything obvious.
>
> - Toralf

Search for UEFI firmware. Those IBM servers don't have a classic BIOS anymore, they are EFI based. I looked it up following your model/type and found the updates.

http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/systemx/quickorder?parent=ibm/Systemx3550M3&product=ibm/systemx/7944&&platform=All&function=fixId&fixids=ibm_fw_uefi_d6e149a_linux_32-64&source=fc