[CentOS] ldif invalid per syntax

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Oct 7 21:05:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 04:38:42PM -0400, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> Hello CentOS
>
> I am having a bit of trouble importing an ldif into openldap, tho the
> syntax looks a-ok to me. I am attempting to import my sudoers list
> into my ldap configuration and I used an application called sudoers2ldif
> to generate the ldif.
>
>  I used the following command to import the file:

>  [root at bluethundr-desktop:~/txt/ldif ] $:ldapadd -h ldap -a -W -x -D
> "cn=Manager,dc=summitnjhome,dc=com" -f
> /home/bluethundr/txt/sudoers2.ldif
> Enter LDAP Password:
> adding new entry "cn=defaults,ou=sudoers,ou=Services,dc=summitnjhome,dc=com"
> ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
>        additional info: objectClass: value #1 invalid per syntax

It indicates that the second line (it counts from 0, so #1 should be the
second line) has something wrong.  I would think you'd have to put the
objectclass of sudoRole in a schema--a quick look at your email doesn't
show it there--forgive me if I missed it.

Errm, that is, second line of your objectclass.  It makes sense.

Taking just the object class listing.

> objectClass: top
> objectClass: sudoRole

We see that value #1 is sudoRole.  I don't see it defined in your
schema, forgive me if I missed it.   If I'm correct though, and it's not
in your schema, that's your problem.

(Not sure if I should snip the rest of this or not, so will be
conservative and not snip--for anyone following the thread, this
sentence ends what I have to say about it.  :)