[CentOS] ldif invalid per syntax

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 01:31:15 UTC 2010

Well, if I'm not mistaken copying this file to my shchema directory
and referencing it in my slapd.conf file should have taken care of
this objectClass:

cp /usr/local/share/doc/sudo/schema.OpenLDAP
/usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/openldap.schema

And, as mentioned, I made sure to include this in my slapd.conf file:

# See slapd.conf(5) for details on configuration options.
# This file should NOT be world readable.
#
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/openldap.schema

The _last_ thing I added to my ldap database was this entry (using ldapvi)

# sudoers, Services, summitnjhome.com
dn: ou=sudoers,ou=Services,dc=summitnjhome,dc=com
ou: sudoers
objectClass: organizationalUnit

I then set the appropriate environment variable  (I'm partial to C
Shell these days):

setenv SUDOERS_BASE ou=sudoers,ou=Services,dc=summitnjhome,dc=com

And exported my sudoers list to an ldif file using this command:

/usr/local/share/doc/sudo/sudoers2ldif /usr/local/etc/sudoers >
/home/bluethundr/txt/ldif/sudoers.ldif

And that is when I run into the error that I described earlier:

LBSD2# ldapadd -h ldap -a -W -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=summitnjhome,dc=com"
-f /home/bluethundr/txt/ldif/sudoers.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "cn=defaults,ou=sudoers,ou=Services,dc=summitnjhome,dc=com"
ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
	additional info: objectClass: value #1 invalid per syntax

For refresher, this is the entry it's having trouble with:

dn: cn=defaults,ou=sudoers,ou=Services,dc=summitnjhome,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: sudoRole
cn: defaults

As far as I can gather, sudoRole (which is where the problem appears
to lie) was supposed to have been added along with the openldap.schema
that I've included in my slapd.conf file.

Thanks for the help so far...