[CentOS] using Linux as a front-end controller for a SAN?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Tue Oct 12 18:00:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I hope someone can shed some light on this for me. Has anyone tried,
>>or have experience with, setting up a Linux server to manage a few NAS
>>devices and thus make them all visible to the clients as one large
>>SAN?
>
> I don't know about Linux solutions for this, but I did see what
> appeared to be an interesting solution for this at a WMware
> meeting recently.  Falconstor Software virtualizes SAN storage in
> much the same way VMware virtualizes servers.  My guess is it
> isn't cheap, but reinventing wheels can be expensive too.
>
>        http://www.falconstor.com/
>
> Bill
> --

That's exactly what I had in mind :) Netapp has something similar but
I forgot what it's called. I just don't like buying into,and being
bound to, proprietary systems. And I don't see the worth in buying one
only to find that it doesn't really suit my needs or work as well as I
hoped it would. With Linux (or for that matter Solaris / BSD) I know I
could at least put together something that will suit my needs, and not
the developers ideas of what they think I want

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com