[CentOS] GPL question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 21:37:14 UTC 2010

On 9/8/2010 4:15 PM, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I have a GPL question - sorry if it's way off topic.
>

> We're pushing on a system that collects a variety of data points and pulls
> them into a single report. One of the modules we use is a 3rd party tool that
> generates an html report which equates to one of the pages on the report
> that's then delivered to the customer.
>
> In this scenario is the code that generates all the other modules/pages of the
> report subject to the GPL as well?

The answer might be complicated since it depends on whether the combined
parts become a derivative work under copyright law.  In general,
programs that run separately as independent steps an a process would not
be derivatives of any other, while libraries or source combined in a
single process probably are.  Things with a dynamic linking modular
interface are sort of a gray area, especially if the recipient is
expected to obtain and add modules on their own terms as necessary.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com