[CentOS] glibc-2.5-58.el5_6.2.i686 broken?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Apr 18 15:18:43 UTC 2011

On 04/17/2011 09:52 AM, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hi Akemi,
>
> On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 18:18 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> See also:
>>
>> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30939&forum=37
>
> Please don't take this the wrong way, but not everybody reads the
> forums. Perhaps it is possible to give a heads up about such breakage
> via the CentOS general or announce mailing list before such a broken
> package is released into the wild? That would actually make it an
> advantage to swim down stream :-) .
>
> I would like to advice everyone to avoid this update by adding
> exclude=glibc*2.5-58.el5_6.2 nscd*2.5-58.el5_6.2
> to their updates channel config - added it to base just to be sure -
> until upstream releases a fix.

It is nice to post info about this and any other thing we might know of
when we can ... but lets look at something logically for a second.

Where is it (besides their bugzilla) that upstream warns customers of
this known issue?  I am all for fixing things and posting things and
such, but CentOS (with no SLA) is now being held to a higher standard
than upstream (with paid customers)?

If someone encounters a problem, we have a bugs database where they
should enter that issue.  They should also go to the upstream bugzilla
and look for the issue there ... and put a link to that in the centos
bugs entry as well.

With CentOS, the users are the ones who are needed to answer the bugs
entries ... that is the whole point of the Community in CentOS.  The
forums, the bugs database (and also this list, nothing wrong with this
kind of info here too) are all user (community) driven.

This is what we mean by CentOS being a Community distribution.  We
"build it" and release it ... and everything else is Community based.

I will certainly build and release a "fixed" version of this in the
testing repo if that is something that we want to do as a group.