[CentOS] setting up bare minimal CentOS VM

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Tue Aug 9 22:44:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>>

>> Craig, yes, and no. I am actually looking for a list of software
>> packages that can be removed without breaking the running OS. like for
>> example bluez-libs or cronie-anacron which isn't necessarily needed
>> for a bare-minimum system to run.
>>
>> I honestly don't just want to delete stuff that I don't know if it
>> could break something, so I was hoping maybe someone knows of a list
>> (on a wiki / blog / etc) that has a really bare minimum list of
>> software that needs to be on a server to function.
>>
>> I could install anything else later on if I need to though.
>>

> I really think the minimal CD would be about as lean as you would want to go.
> You could maybe trim a few megs, but is it worth the extra work?

Hi Scott,

I didn't know about the minimal CD until now.

And it's not really about "trimming a few extra megs", but rather
about removing, and disabling services which users generally won't use
but gets installed and often cause security issues down the road cause
it was never disabled

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers